Narnia comments, including spoilers

Fri Sep 15 12:09:33 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:15:58 -0400 (EDT), Margaret E Parks wrote:

>I suppose it might surprise people to know that my favorite is Magician's
>Nephew--I've gotten the sense that I'm probably alone in that.

That's one of my favorites.  The whole idea of the rings, and crawling
through the attic spaces, and the Wood Between the Worlds, just seemed
fascinating.  I remember being so creeped out by the idea of the old, old
sun--almost claustrophobic.  But I loved it most because I already knew the
later history of Narnia.  I love prequels.  Except for _Dragonsdawn_.

>The one I
>remember not liking the most (and it's been ages since I read them) is
>Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  I don't remember why.

Me too!  I think I disliked it because it was a series of episodes...I like
individual scenes in it, but the book as a whole wasn't my favorite.

>I do remember that I
>really hated what happened to the older girl--Susan, right?  It depressed
>me beyond words that she just sort of forgot and went on with her
>perfectly horribly ordinary life.  I wonder what the religious message is
>in that?

Probably a reminder that (the apostle Paul's remarks notwithstanding) much
of adulthood is an illusion--that the path to heaven is to be as a little
child and keep the sense of wonder and joy that children have.  I don't
know.  There's quite a lot in Lewis's _The Screwtape Letters_ that refers to
this same idea; Screwtape advises Wormwood to encourage the feeling of
world-weary sophistication in the man he's tempting, to make him believe
that Christianity is for the gullible.  In a purely secular sense, I've
known people who were great lovers of fantasy literature as kids, but sort
of outgrew it--most of them because they felt that it was a childish
pleasure.  That's sad.

Melissa Proffitt