Waking the moon (was Elitism was Tam lin)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 06:08:11 EDT 2000

>>Ven said...
>>Has anyone read Elizabeth Hand's Waking the Moon?
>Yes;  I do find, though, that
>it's one of those books (like Robin Hobb's "Assassin" trilogy or just about
>anything by Tim Powers) that I have to be in the right mood to read.  I can
>read, frex, DWJ, any time, in any mood, but some books I really have to
>"feel like" reading.  Does anyone else get this?
>Dorian.

Oh, yes, loads. It's often genres rather than particular authors- "no, I
don't feel like history this evening, I want something daft". Or if it's
something imposing I almost have to nerve myself up for it. Films, too- I
haven't seen The Opposite of Sex- I'm sure it's good and I'll enjoy it but
every time my boyfriend suggests it I just want to watch a Jackie Chan film,
or if I suggest it he feels like Shakespeare.
Jennifer