Waking the moon (was Elitism was Tam lin)

Thu Sep 14 17:08:45 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:17:23 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>I do find, though, that
>it's one of those books (like Robin Hobb's "Assassin" trilogy or just about
>anything by Tim Powers) that I have to be in the right mood to read.  I can
>read, frex, DWJ, any time, in any mood, but some books I really have to
>"feel like" reading.  Does anyone else get this?

Oh yes.  Guy Gavriel Kay is one for me.  Tim Powers too.  Both are so
intense I have to be feeling a specific way to want that intensity.  Neil
Gaiman's _Sandman_ books too.  At the other end of this are books that are
so "light" I have to be in that sort of frivolous (or, alternatively,
flu-induced stupor) mood to really enjoy them, like Robert Asprin or any of
the authors on my low-quality-fiction list.

But DWJ, and Terry Pratchett, I can read any time.  Also _Perilous Gard_,
_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, _Promised Land_, _Dream Park_.  If I'm ever
not in the mood for one of these, either I'm ill or I've read too much of
one thing and am overloaded on it....

Melissa Proffitt