Religiosity in Card

Thu Sep 14 15:44:02 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:42:12 -0600, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:35:21 -0400, McMullin, Elise wrote:
>
>>"It's funny, but I realize I've had a similar reaction to both Diane
>>Duane and Orson Scott Card. In Card's case, I loved the first two
>>Alvin Maker books, which are essentially an alternate-universe
>>retelling of the life of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons."
>>
>>Really?? I had no idea!
>
>People read more into that than really exists.  I'd characterize it more of
>an 'inspired by' than a 'retelling'.  The Alvin Maker books have certain
>events that have analogs to events in the life of Joseph Smith, but the
>characters are really very different.  Alvin is *much* more a loner, much
>more self-assured, and far more autonomous from his society which of course,
>is entirely changed around from our history.  There just isn't much Mormon
>theology in Alvin Maker.  No more than any of Card's other books and a good
>deal less than some.

_The Worthing Chronicle_ is usually cited as the most theologically Mormon
of his books.  I wouldn't know.  I read it in a bad environment (freezing at
a bus station wondering if I was going to have to ride another three hundred
miles out of my way) and it was just boring, except for the part about the
actress who was permanently hooked up to a video camera that broadcast her
entire life.

And, Elise:

>>Aaah. I've only read the first two. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

You should definitely read the third.  It's my favorite, but I'm a romantic.
Also I really like Arthur Stuart as a child.  But the last two just didn't
hold my interest.  Specifically, I bought _Alvin Journeyman_ in hardcover,
and when I loaned it out to someone who never got around to returning it, I
DIDN'T CARE.  Pretty bad, huh?

Melissa Proffitt