Narnia comments, including spoilers

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Sep 14 15:26:57 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> Speaking of Madeleine L'Engle's later books and of C.S.Lewis, "The Last
> Battle" is the one Narnia book I have not read a gazillion times. I find the
> whole book extremely depressing, and I don't believe in the end enough to
> feel uplifted by it, which I think was supposed to be the idea. I'd rather
> forget this book exists.
yeah...whenever I'm reading the whole series, once I'm done with _The
Silver Chair_ (because I tend to read them in chronological order, not
publishing order, but I only started doing that *after* I'd read them all
the first time--how *dare* they publish them in the wrong order? _The
Magician's Nephew_ isn't *nearly* as cool if you don't already know how
things are supposed to be! </rant>) I always think, "Do I really want to
read _The Last Battle_? I sorta have to...sigh." And then I read it and it
isn't nearly as bad as I've remembered, but I still think the ending is a
copout.

SPOILER ALERT (for _The Last Battle_ and _The Lion, the Witch, and the
Wardrobe_)

I just object to Lewis destroying his own world and saying "But that's
okay! 'Cause there's the greater story, isn't that cool? It doesn't matter
that they're all dead! 'Cause they're not!" Maybe it's my aversion to
"this life doesn't matter because the next one's so much better." But I've
always hated that.

And on the obvious Christian allegories in the Narnia books: the first
time I read at least _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_, I had no
clue that the Deeper Magic from before the dawn of time that brought Aslan
back to life had anything to do with Jesus's resurrection. I thought,
"Hey, cool! Deep magic thwarted by deeper magic! And so Edmund's saved and
Aslan isn't dead!" And then someone, maybe my mother, told me what it was
based on, and I felt cheated. And proselytized to. And I object to both of
those.