Waking the moon (was Elitism was Tam lin)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Sep 14 15:17:23 EDT 2000

Ven said...

> So Nat and Helen went to Blackstock, sorry Carleton. marvelous! I
> was never sure if it was a "real" place or not.  Has anyone read
> Elizabeth Hand's Waking the Moon? Its set at a college too, "St
> John the Divine", and has thematic similarities, tho its rather
> darker. it also features a plot twist that completely took me by
> surprise.

Yes; I bought it because I liked the title (though not the bizarre cover).
And despite the fact that every time I read it I want to shout "Not ALL
pagans are like that, dammit!", I still like it.  I do find, though, that
it's one of those books (like Robin Hobb's "Assassin" trilogy or just about
anything by Tim Powers) that I have to be in the right mood to read.  I can
read, frex, DWJ, any time, in any mood, but some books I really have to
"feel like" reading.  Does anyone else get this?

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Some there be that shadows kiss
Such have but a shadow's bliss" -W. Shakespeare