Religiosity in Card

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Sep 14 13:42:12 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:35:21 -0400, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>"It's funny, but I realize I've had a similar reaction to both Diane
>Duane and Orson Scott Card. In Card's case, I loved the first two
>Alvin Maker books, which are essentially an alternate-universe
>retelling of the life of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons."
>
>Really?? I had no idea!

People read more into that than really exists.  I'd characterize it more of
an 'inspired by' than a 'retelling'.  The Alvin Maker books have certain
events that have analogs to events in the life of Joseph Smith, but the
characters are really very different.  Alvin is *much* more a loner, much
more self-assured, and far more autonomous from his society which of course,
is entirely changed around from our history.  There just isn't much Mormon
theology in Alvin Maker.  No more than any of Card's other books and a good
deal less than some.

>Welcome back Nat, good to hear from you. Congratulations to you both, too!
>
>"The later books (up to 5 now, I think) get progressively more
>Alvin-is-Superman, and edge closer and closer to outright Mormon
>theology."
>
>Aaah. I've only read the first two. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

That's funny.  I find them diverging more and more from outright Mormon
theology.  And interestingly, Card is experiencing something of a backlash
from his Mormon readers for diverging so much.  Which is interesting given
that it is a work of *fantasy*.

Jacob Proffitt