Cletus the Yokel was: Re: Elitism was Tam lin

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Sep 14 13:26:51 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:55:37 +0200 (CEST), Britta Koch wrote:

>And I wonder: who is this Cletus? I only saw him on Simpsons the other
>night, but is he more widely known? And if it's in a book, which one?

Cletus is more of a stereo-type than a character.  It's a redneck name.  A
name that is easily associated with backwoods, isolated, not-so-bright
people.  I'm not sure how that started, but it's something of an American
meme.

Jacob Proffitt