_Juniper, Gentian and Rosemary_ (was: Re: Tam Lin)

Thu Sep 14 13:13:13 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:17:44 -0400, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>"And, blast it, *I* want a bedroom with an observatory!  :)"
>
>In a way it was neat, but in a way it was so special and precious.  Maybe I
>would have preferred her with a regular bedroom, constantly dreaming about
>an observatory bedroom.  Can I have a greenhouse bedroom?

YES!  EXACTLY!

It's like her books are the dream of what ought to be.  They're TOO perfect.
The characters have exactly what I-as-reader wish I had, but with none of
the problems that would accompany the thing if I had it.

Raymond Feist wrote this book called _Faerie Tale_ that bugged me in many
ways, but the killer--the thing that made me give up--was something like
this.  There's a couple in the book who fall in love and become engaged
about halfway through.  And almost immediately we learn that one of them has
inherited a lot of money and suddenly they're going to be wealthy and not
want for anything.  And I thought, Hey, I've been a newlywed.  I was a
*poor* newlywed.  This is just a cheap way of avoiding discussion of the
problems of adjustment all newlyweds face.  It's too easy.

Melissa Proffitt