_Dark Lord_ spoiler (was: Re: Truth and appearances was RE: _Power of Three_ (no spoiler))

Thu Sep 14 12:52:02 EDT 2000

I love changing subject lines.  It's just mysteriously fun.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:32:55 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>OK, now I have to read Power of Three again. Besides buying Tam Lin to see
>what everyone is talking about.

I was thinking the same thing myself.  It's on my Buy list (which is about
five pages long, divided by general subjects).

>>From: Melissa Proffitt [mailto:Melissa at Proffitt.com]
>>What struck me was how much this book had to say about truth and
>>appearances.  All DWJ's books have this element to some extent, as it
>arises
>>from the use of the naive narrator (which she does a lot) and is just the
>>kind of story she seems to like best.
>
>Yes! This is such a big reason for rereading dwj- the first time through a
>book I love the story and characters, and then I start *thinking* about it
>and there's more to it, and every time you read you see more of the "truth"-
>the behind-the-obvious-story.
>(How Melissa is so insightful when presumably operating on about three hours
>sleep is amazing.)

You guys are going to give me such a swelled head.  What's the Latin for
sleep deprivation?  "In exhaustivus veritas" or something like that.

>Dark Lord of Derkholm small spoiler (OK, the header is now wrong- but there
>isn't a spoiler for PoT so it can stay)
>

>Ooh- just had a thought- is this the problem with Dark Lord? The appearances
>are given away first- we know the Evil Lord is a nice guy, and is then his
>children. Yes, there are some surprises and people whose actions explain a
>lot once you find out about them, and it re-reads well- I think it gets
>better- but there isn't the same gradual drawing-curtain-aside thing.

You know, I might just have liked this story better if it had been told from
the POV of Geoffrey and the other Pilgrims, and they'd gradually learned the
truth.  In fact, I know you're right, Jennifer.  What an insight!

Phew.  Now I feel tons better.  Reading is so nice, isn't it?  As is having
intelligent people to talk to about books.

Melissa Proffitt