Religiosity

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 04:56:38 EDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Nat Case wrote:

> In Diane Duane's case, While I am still very fond of her, I
> though the "So You Want to be a Wizard series was weakened by the
> last book, which got rather theological towards the end, again as a
> character achieved a higher consciousness.

The same goes for the Door Into... series, though the fourth and last
book hasn't even come out. I loved the first and especially the
second (thanks, Jessie!), but the third, while it was fascinating,
suffered from what my husband calls "a surfeit of greatness".
   Irina

I've been agreeing with this thread, having found that an author's own
beliefs coming into the story *usually* (not always- and it doesn't matter
what the belief is) make it more wooden, as the characters act as
mouthpieces rather than their actions flowing from their personalities, but
this interested me- I read the third "Door" first, having stumbled across
it, and just thought it was set on a "high mythological" plane, and then
read the earlier two and found them a bit flat by comparison (though still
*very* good, and indeed "in touch with the mysterious" in that universe).
Does it have anything to do with what we expect of a book? For example,
knowing Narnia is "Christian" I can then read around that, whereas I might
find the allegories a bit- hmm, what's the word- jarring, going out of my
"fantasy expectations", if I just came fresh to the books?
Several people have mentioned that an author's first book is great and they
then start intruding their personal Big Themes into later ones- I can't
remember if anyone else has read later books first and gotten tuned in to
that style?
Jennifer