_Juniper, Gentian and Rosemary_ (was: Re: Tam Lin)

Thu Sep 14 00:58:08 EDT 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 04:44:00 +0100, Ven wrote:

> I've just read PD's Juniper , Gentian and
>Rosemary. It has similar faults to Tam Lin, the quoting, the opacity
>of the writing. I couldn't put it down, however. Strange book, i've not
>yet decided what I think. I'm waiting for my friend Sarah to finish it
>so I can her opinion, anyone else able to oblige?

I just read it earlier this year.  Definitely an odd book.  I can't remember
my specific reaction when I finished it, except to remember that I had a
very definite Thought about it...it's vanished into postpartum oblivion,
alas.

I still think Dean's books sound terribly smug, though the friends in this
one weren't themselves smug.  It's a very postmodern, very literary type
book--almost not SF at all.  I do remember feeling that the ending was too
abrupt; you go through the entire book knowing something is weird, but the
explanation that comes at the end is packed into just a few pages and
explains EVERYTHING, including a few things you didn't know were an issue,
like the parents' role in why their daughters were the way they were.  And,
blast it, *I* want a bedroom with an observatory!  :)

Melissa Proffitt