Elitism was Tam lin

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Sep 13 20:32:08 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Ven wrote:
> What a great picture you paint but what exactly is granola--is it like
> muesli?
If British muesli is like Swedish muesli (that being the only king I've
had), then granola is like the heavy bits of muesli. It's mostly
grains--oats and little clumps of other grains, and you can get it with
raisins or dried fruit, but it's very dense, not light like cornflakes or
something.

I think the implication that Lizzie might have been making is that Janet
and Thomas were what is known as "crunchy granola"-type people--sort of
hippies, environmentalists, what have you. I actually completely disagree
with this opinion. I think that Janet would laugh at people like that and
feed her kids relatively healthy yet unconventional foods--she wouldn't be
one to scoff at cold pizza for breakfast, if that's what the kids
wanted. I just don't think that Janet was smug--she seemed a bit too
uncertain to be smug. Maybe it's that she exudes a certainty that all
people are like her, but I think that's more just growing up in an
academic atmosphere with an English professor for a father.

> I have a suspicion that PD writes with the complete works
> of Shakespeare  on her desk and a small reference library at hand.
and then pretends that she doesn't, so we feel guilty for having to *read*
with the small reference library at hand...

and the oddly relevant quotation of the minute...