_The Perilous Gard_ (Was Re: Friends and Readers)

Margaret E Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Sep 13 19:32:14 EDT 2000

Yes, Hallie, this is still one of my favorite historical books--I almost
said that, but it didn't seem fair since I don't read a lot of historical
books these days.  It seems like most of the adult historical novels come
in lilac or peach and display a half-naked muscular neanderthal-type male
embracing a half naked bosomy female.  Which is not to say that those
books aren't enjoyable, but they don't quite make the favorites list.  A
lot of the reason I love the book
is
I love Kate--she's so resigned and good, really, and I love that things
work out for her.  And I love that she is transformed without
changing.  The Lady teaches her to be graceful instead of clumsy and
awkward, but Kate doesn't become any less likable for this.  She's still
someone you can identify with because it doesn't matter to her, at least
not after it happens.  I love that she doesn't take the first present the
Lady offers her (don't want to spoil it) and I love Christopher.  How is
it that some childhood books are still, subtly, a million times more
romantic than the aforementioned historical romances?  Romances are meant
to be about love, but it's books like this one, when Christopher tells
Kate that he might as well say he loves his eyes as say he loves her--I
get all grinny every time I read that.  It's so beautiful.  Another book
is L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle.  She also wrote Anne of Green Gables
et al, and some of the scenes from those books are far up on my "makes me
believe in true love list" (is it Rilla-my-Rilla?  Yeth) but I think that
the Blue Castle is one of her most sophisticated, most Emersonian, most
beautiful and yes most romantic works.  And I have to run.

lizzie, feeling all melty just from reminising. . . .