_The Perilous Gard_ (Was Re: Friends and Readers)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Sep 13 19:04:00 EDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
> Kate seem the kind of person you'd love to have as a friend?  Big part of
> the appeal for us, along with the wonderful dialogue, setting, other
> characters, imaginative plot, interesting variations on the Tam Lin story,
> and on the "heroic ideal" (to borrow DWJ's term!)....
Ooh, yes. I love it that Kate is immensely heroic, but in such a
practical, "what else would you do?" sort of way that she inspires me,
instead of making me feel small and inadequate. Add to that the absolute
drool-worthiness of Christopher, the *beautiful*, brilliant writing, and
we've got ourselves a winner.

Last spring break, I was hanging out with three friends, and since we had
access to a library and *finally* a bit of time to read, we were playing
the "Hey, have you read this?" game. My friend Heather and I
suggested/squealed agreement to _The Perilous Gard_, and proceeded to
recite the ending, which we both think is *lovely*.

Also, _The Perilous Gard_ is one of very very few books for
"older" readers (i.e., not a picture book or close) which has a fair
number of pictures, *good* ones, which help the story and look like the
characters, instead of making the reader cry "No! What were they
*thinking*?!"