Friends and Readers (was Tam Lin/Elitism)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 13 13:29:53 EDT 2000

Lizzie:

>What I did like was
>Elizabeth Marie Pope's The Perilous Gard.  It borrows a lot from the
>legend of Tam Lin, and was one of my favorite historical books for
>years.

Agreed!  100%!  Er, and hopefully it still is?  It's been a favourite of
ours (that's me, Becca and Cara, my ten-year-old) for ages.  And doesn't
Kate seem the kind of person you'd love to have as a friend?  Big part of
the appeal for us, along with the wonderful dialogue, setting, other
characters, imaginative plot, interesting variations on the Tam Lin story,
and on the "heroic ideal" (to borrow DWJ's term!)....

Hallie