Religiosity

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Sep 13 10:44:24 EDT 2000

Re: L'Engle

It's funny, but I realize I've had a similar reaction to both Diane
Duane and Orson Scott Card. In Card's case, I loved the first two
Alvin Maker books, which are essentially an alternate-universe
retelling of the life of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons. The
later books (up to 5 now, I think) get progressively more
Alvin-is-Superman, and edge closer and closer to outright Mormon
theology. In Diane Duane's case, While I am still very fond of her, I
though the "So You Want to be a Wizard series was weakened by the
last book, which got rather theological towards the end, again as a
character achieved a higher consciousness.

There is an unfortunate quality I think almost any devout author
(heck, any author period) acquires when they get too close to looking
the Divine right in the face. Especially when they lean on teachings
instead of their own experience. As if at some point the writers
imagination fails to encompass the writing as thoroughly as it did
when it was written closer to home.

I remember in not-directly-religious way being left disappointed with
Phyllis Naylor's York Trilogy. I thought at the time that she just
set up a wonderful metaphoric web and then didn't know how to resolve
it.

I haven't re-read Narnia in many years; maybe it's time.

Nat Case