More on Madeline L'Engle

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 13 04:58:50 EDT 2000

Nat wrote:
>>She spoke at Carleton my freshman year, and I recall being turned off by
>>her
brand or religiosity... it seemed smug, somehow. >>

I have a friend who heard her speak at Princeton (maybe even took a workshop
with her) and reported almost exactly the same feeling. She says she has
stopped liking her books as a result.

which I tend to agree with, and Irina wrote:

>I liked
_A Wrinkle in Time_ immensely when I first read it as a teenager, and
quite a bit still when I reread it in my late twenties, but then I
got into a fit of completeness and bought everything else (the only
title I remember is _Many Waters_) and it all got to be a bit much.
She's so heavy-handed. There's only one right way of thinking.>

Which I also agree with. In fact, I think I would still like the earlier
books if I hadn't read the later ones. I think a number of factors are at
play: one is that I became more sensitive to the blinkered morality than I
had been. The other was that some of the characters were simply ruined for
me. I can give an example, but it's from a book that I remember only very
vaguely. I don't even remember what it was called, I don't even remember is
the female protagonist is one of the Murray/O'Keefe gang or one of the
Austins. But an important character in the book was Zachary, from "The Moon
by Night" and "A Ring of Endless Light".

Zachary had always been one of the "unenlightened" characters, but he seemed
to be struggling to improve himself and break free from his upbringing and
heritage. I thought of him as traumatized and conflicted, but heading in the
right way. And then in this book, in which he is suddenly involved in
fantastical happenings though up to now he was a strictly "realistic"
character, some shaman type of person "looks" into his heart and sees a dark
flaw there that can never be repaired. I *HATED* that. Basically, it
amounted to laying down as fact "this character is bad", and in one stroke
wiping away any potential for Zachary ever being "good"; in effect
FLATTENING a character that used to at least seem 3 dimensional! It ruined
the earlier books for me as well.

In short, if you're going to try any of L'Engle's books, I'd recommend
reading them in order, and reading no more than what I see as "the basic
six":

A WRINKLE IN TIME
A WIND AT THE DOOR
A SWIFTLY TILTING PLANET (borderline annoying)

And the Austins series, which is not a fantasy series (at least for these
three books):

MEET THE AUSTINS
THE MOON BY NIGHT
A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT

I'd steer away from any of the later ones. I found them to be either boring
or extremely irritating or both. Except maybe MANY WATERS which I found at
least partially enjoyable.

Gili