Elitist reading

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Sep 11 13:19:26 EDT 2000

On 11 Sep, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
>  The books that always make me despair are the Sayers Harriet Vane ones-
> Peter and Harriet falling in love with each other by means of quotations.
> I'll never be that well-read if I live to a hundred- and yet I like the
> quotes and have tried to track them down, and found authors I really like
> (Donne, in particular) on the way, so it's good in a way. (I love the bit in
> Busman's Honeymoon where Peter and the policeman start playing the
> quotations game).

Whew - I always felt so stupid not "getting" the quotes... that also
led to my ongoing quest to read "the" children's classics, like "Little
Women", "Pollyanna", etc. - though I haven't read any for some time. I
just like to get in-jokes, and quotations are a little like that...
even if the in-jokes have to be explained so they aren't funny anymore.

Britta
--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,