Elitist reading

Clara Chen cachen at server.yournode.net
Mon Sep 11 11:26:39 EDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>  The books that always make me despair are the Sayers Harriet Vane ones-
> Peter and Harriet falling in love with each other by means of
quotations.

Oh, I love those books!  In fact, I'm on a few mailing lists for Sayers
and your message came sandwiched between two of them, which was a bit
confusing.  :)

> I'll never be that well-read if I live to a hundred- and yet I like the
> quotes and have tried to track them down

Amazingly enough, some brave soul by the name of Steve Clarke has actually
created a book called _The Lord Peter Wimsey Companion_ (or is it
_Compendium_?), which tracks all of the quotes and references.  Can you
imagine how much work that must have been?!  Speaking of despair!  :)  I
haven't managed to get a hold of one yet, but there is a new edition in
revision now.  I'm looking forward to it.  In the meantime, I'm quite
content to reread them every year or so - I seem to pick up new references
each time.

Clara,
going back to lurking