Elitist reading

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 10:05:51 EDT 2000

 The books that always make me despair are the Sayers Harriet Vane ones-
Peter and Harriet falling in love with each other by means of quotations.
I'll never be that well-read if I live to a hundred- and yet I like the
quotes and have tried to track them down, and found authors I really like
(Donne, in particular) on the way, so it's good in a way. (I love the bit in
Busman's Honeymoon where Peter and the policeman start playing the
quotations game).
Jennifer

>>You make really good points about Pamela Dean expecting everyone to
>>know all the literature that she does. I agree, it is elitist.

<vbg> I think DWJ is elitist too. I'm all for elitist. I'm not all that
bright, but I'd rather reach up than squish down in my reading.
Sallyo.