Boarding school books, was: YotG along with other, off topic things.

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 10 07:34:47 EDT 2000

At 08:39  10-09-00 +0800, you wrote:

>Umm... thinkthinkthink... the one story that comes to mind is one that
>I can't remember the name of, because I read it in an omnibus edition.
>It may be called _Mike and Psmith_, and it's definitely by
>P. G. Wodehouse.

Oh yes. I *think* there might be a first book called Mike at Wrykyn, and
then there are further books that follow the "careers" of Mike and Smith
after they leave school. I have Psmith in the City somewhere. (The "P" is,
of course, silent.)

And apologies for not reading all my email before shooting off answers - I
see I've duplicated some answers, and got one major fact wrong as well :-(

So, the big Four are Enid Blyton, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, Dorita Fairlie
Bruce and Angela Brazil. (Pronounced Brazzle, just to confuse.)

And for those interested in Boarding School stories and series may I
recommend the girlsown mailing list. See
http://www.cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~amgraham/girlsown/girlsown.html   I am the
listowner, btw, but not particularly expert on the topic. However many of
the experts do frequent the list.

For those interested in the Chalet School in particular I'd suggest joining
the Friends of the Chalet School (FOCS) and/or the New Chalet Club. Both
have websites - but I don't have the URLs handy right now. Both issue
newsletters and have regional meetings of Chalet fans and other book
collectors.

Which 10 chalet books do you need, Dorian? The FOCS website includes a list
of the books with information on their relative rarity in hardback and pb.

And the author of Fifth Form at St Dominics is Talbot Baines Reed. I have
the book, but haven't yet read it.

Anita