L'Engle - (was: Re: YotG along with other, off topic things.)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 09:17:16 EDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Sally Odgers wrote:

> I think that's one thing that draws me to DWJ. Her characters may
> sometimes act in odd ways, but I never get the feeling they're
> making monumental mountains out of molehills. Or if they are, they
> come to admit that themselves. And again (gee, I'm having
> revelations tonight!) I suppose that's what draws me to read (and
> write) fantasy and sci fi. The problems are more likely to be
> life-and-death and not self-inflicted. I get annoyed with characters
> who find themselves in bad situations through their own crass
> stupidity.

For instance: The hero, a wizard, has lost his powers at a time when
he is under great threat. By a miraculous happenstance, he is able to
get his hands on the one thing that can restore his powers.
And then he eats it.

...sorry. That wasn't really relevant. But you can tell it's made an
impact on me, can't you?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."