L'Engle - (was: Re: YotG along with other, off topic things.)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Sep 11 07:38:44 EDT 2000

>On the other hand, it's an inaccurate statement because it doesn't allow for
>any changes in a reader other than the changes of aging.  My adult reaction
>to Madeleine L'engle's books is similar to Lizzie's; I re-read a lot of
>L'engle earlier this year, as well as reading some books for the first time,
>and found that my moral philosophy (which was practically nonexistent when I
>read them for the first time) has become more defined now.  I had the same
>reaction that I have to Pamela Dean--I was annoyed by how very definite her
>characters were in their opinions, because I couldn't argue my side.  And my
>beliefs are different from hers in a big way.

I've tried to snip this and still keep some idea of what Melissa was
saying.  This thread is really interesting to me, because I had the same
reaction to _A Wrinkle in Time_ as Melissa, Lizzie, Dorian and Gili, but
for a rather different reason - it was the style which seemed off-putting
to me now, rather than the "beliefs".  This is only a question, _not_ an
argument (so Melissa, you don't have to say anything about here we go again
;)  Really!)  But I keep hearing this about L'Engle's books, and I always
wonder what people are seeing in them that I don't.  (Mind you, I've only
re-read Wrinkle and Swiftly Tilting Planet in the last few years, while
others are still on my huge re-read list.)

Anyone have the time or inclination to explain what opinions or beliefs in
L'Engle's books they disliked?

Hallie