Tam Lin

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Sep 10 22:11:38 EDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Ven wrote:
> Thanks to both Kyla and Kyra for enlightening me about American
> College traditions. Especially to Kyra for confirming my suspician
> that it could be absolutely horrible!
I'm glad to have helped. In fact, I'm going to help more. :^) I think my
freshman-year roommate and I got on rather like Molly and Janet did, and
if I hadn't found a group of people who were *much* more like me, I think
Crystal might have been one of my main friends. She was a lovely roommate,
in that we had similar sleep schedules and were overly considerate about
things like lights and music which might bother the other person, and we
had some very silly 1:00 am conversations. As it is, we just don't see
each other at all, but it's because we found people who *actively* suited
us. That's why I find it so odd that Janet never really made any female
friends on her own. You'd think there were only classics majors, Janet,
and her roommates on the entire college campus. Blackstock is small, but
not *that* small.

(And that's one thing that DWJ never does. She always gives you the sense
that there are *lots* of people there, as many as you think there *should*
be; you just don't know all of them. Like in Witch Week, you know there's
a bunch of people in the class; you know only about 10 or so by name, but
the others come up when they're lining up or naming people or whatever. Or
all those people in Chrestomanci Castle who talk incomprehensively at
dinner. See? I managed to get myself back on topic! :^)

Cordelia: Time out, Xander. Put yourself in Buffy's shoes
	for just a minute. Okay? I'm Buffy, freak of nature,
	right? Naturally I pick a freak for a boyfriend,
	and then he turns into Mr. Killing Spree, which
	is pretty much my fault...
Buffy: Cordy! Get outta my shoes!
		--"Dead Man¹s Party," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"