Tam Lin

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 20:24:11 EDT 2000

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Ven wrote:
> > The colour green, as in the original ballad is a fairy colour
> > (sometimes held to be unlucky)

and Kyla replied

> Huh. Interesting. Thanks. I guess that's sort of clear from the way
> she emphasizes it (hey, look! all the classics majors are wearing
> green! isn't that *weird*?), but I'd have thought that Janet might have
> thought of a reason why instead of just noticing the oddness.

It was late and I was a bit tired last night -- this may have been
apparent from the embarrassing number of typos and missing
words - so I thought I'd do a follow up. According to Kathleen
Briggs (a folklore and fairytale scholar) it is in the Celtic tradition
that green is particularly associated with fairies. She connects this
with the link between fairies and spirits of the dead, as green is
associated with death in Celtic tradition and I suppose this is what
makes it unlucky. This would certainly fit in with the sinister group
of scholars in Tam Lin. From somewhere I have the impression that
green is a particularly bad thing at weddings.

Thanks to both Kyla and Kyra for enlightening me about American
College traditions. Especially to Kyra for confirming my suspician
that it could be absolutely horrible! I never had a college roommate
but have have shared with some rather incompatible people on
archaeological digs, its awful feeling an alien in your own bedroom.
                                           Ven.