YotG along with other, off topic things.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Sep 10 16:21:59 EDT 2000

Melissa:

>But still...I don't know why, but it's probably some character flaw on my
>part that I don't love it.  It defies prediction.  Every time I thought I
>knew where the story was going, something happened to change it.  First I
>thought it would all be about Derk being the Dark Lord.  Then he gets
>blasted by Scales and his kids have to take over.  Then as they're in the
>middle of orchestrating battles and Dark Lord defeats, Blade has to head up
>his own pilgrim party.  Then he gets kidnapped.  It all keeps changing.  And
>it *felt* like so many different points of view, though I think it's really
>only a few--Derk, Blade, Querida...possibly one or two more.  And this might
>not even be the real reason it still doesn't click for me.  It's just too
>frustrating not to be able to identify this problem.

Couldn't possibly be a character flaw, Melissa!  But I agree with you - I
don't love DL either.  I don't think it's the changing points of view which
get me, as this works just fine in Magicians of Caprona.  I _think_ it may
have to do with the characters (this is again for me).  Although there's
definitely far more to them than just the Dark Lord, Evil Enchantress and
Teenage Boy, none of them is as engaging as, say, Polly and Tom, or
Christopher/Chrestomanci or Mitt.

>On the other hand, if I look at it as a subversion of the epic fantasy
>genre, it's just incredible.  I mean, the dwarf Galadriel--I laugh every
>time I read that part.  Magical creatures that are the result of scientific
>experimentation.  Political in-fighting at the wizards' university.  Pianos
>instead of harps.  The omnipresent and disgusting stew (though I admit that
>a can of Dinty Moore would be heavenly right now, I must have some kind of
>sodium deficiency going on...).  I totally, utterly admire DWJ's work.  I
>just don't love it.  Humph.

How nice to have you say exactly what I feel!

Hallie.