dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #215

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 10 09:54:51 EDT 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> More Enid Blyton series:
>
> The Mr. Pinkwhistle books

Mr. Pinkwhistle! How could I ever have forgotten Mr. Pinkwhistle?

...just lucky, I guess. ;)

-snip-
> The book also contained some fascinating suggestions for gifts to
> make for your parents, like a blotting pad, and a jar of spills. I
> still don't know what spills are for, but I've always wanted to make
> them.

You set fire to them, and then use them to light fires, candles,
lamps, or whatever.

Since I was using the Alexlit author database anyway, I went and
looked up Blyton. What it's got is mostly stuff that's been named
already, but there's also a set of Adventures of Brer Rabbit (I'm
surprised I'd forgotten about those), Mr Galliano's circus et seq.
(read one of those), and the Adventurous Four - is "prolific" just a
polite way of saying "doesn't know when to stop"?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."