Enid Blyton with Lashings of Ginger Beer -

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 23:44:00 EDT 2000

> Hi.  I just have a quick question for all of you from the UK--who is Enid
> Blyton?  I heard something about Kate Winslet saying that she was still
> the best, and you guys (shameless flattery) know more about books
> (especially British) than anyone else I know.

You've done it now Lizzie, opened a right can of ginger beer. Enid
Blyton is both popular and vililfied. Popular for her copious output of
books and magazines for children of all ages. Best known for her
Noddy books for little kids (I hated them), her adventure stories,
especailly the famous five, in which kids solve mysteries and
several series of school stories. Vilified  for her simple,
undemanding language (not educational enough), for being
cringingly politically incorrect (I have a gestalt vision of some
snooty kids going "I say What are those foreign chaps up to going
out after dark, we should follow them and find out!")  and for
aspects of her personal life, apparently not really liking children and
not being good at facing up to things among others. One daughter
felt neglected, the other didn't. The former claimed to have only
realised at the age of about five that the woman who gave out her
pocket money, after paying all the servants, was her mother, she
wasn't anything like mothers in books!

Personally I thought the little kids books twee and boring but the
ones for older kids made very good comfort reading, and I still read
the odd school story now and then.

Oh and the lashings of ginger beer? Quote from an excellent spoof
of the Famous Five Books by the Comic Strip for TV. There's
generally lots of food in EB something to do with rationing. In the
school stories they have midnight feasts and in the adventure
stories vast picnic baskets -- ham and chicken sandwiches,
scones, cakes , pork pies, jelly, etc etc lemonade and lashings of
ginger beer.
                                           Ven.