Lois Mc Masters Bujold

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 23:44:00 EDT 2000

> You can see how Ivan has become the person he has really - his mother is
> such a strong personality and he has been her main mission in life. His
> determination not to be pinned down is all too understandable.

It must have started with his mother, certainly (as someone, Aral?,
says he can't have been that machiavellian as a five year old to
have developed his strategy). I think its become Ivan's personal
solution to the Problem of Being A Barrayan Male and A Vor To
Boot. It lets him be a military officer and make himself useful in
Barrayan society, without being at risk of being  consumed by it,
like Aral., or Gregor or Miles. Sometimes I wonder if he hasn't been
paying close attention to Cordelia all along, tho' it could be an
unconcious influence all along.
                                           Ven.