YotG along with other, off topic things.

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 9 11:23:22 EDT 2000

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> FWIW, I wasn't allowed read the Noddy books.  I think in retrospect
> that my mother may have heard about the nasty racist elements in the
> adventure series and confused those with Noddy.

There was actually a racist controversy about the Noddy books as well.
Enid Blyton had a tendency to write golliwogs as michievous, and
somebody somewhere along the line decided that this was racist[1].

Recent adaptations of the Noddy stories (and, more disturbingly,
recent editions of the books themselves) have had the golliwogs
replaced by malevolent goblins.

Personally, I reckon this reflects racist anti-goblin attitudes worse
than any racist anti-black person attitudes contained in the
uncensored stories; but the goblins don't have a large enough lobby
group to get the situation remedied.

[1] A golliwog, in case you don't know, is a knitted toy in the shape
of a brightly-dressed black man with fuzzy hair.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."