YotG along with other, off topic things.

Margaret E Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Sep 8 18:10:20 EDT 2000

Hi.  I just have a quick question for all of you from the UK--who is Enid
Blyton?  I heard something about Kate Winslet saying that she was still
the best, and you guys (shameless flattery) know more about books
(especially British) than anyone else I know.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way. . . I was looking at the teaser for YotG (it's actually being
published in the US at the same time as in the UK! yea!) and I was
surprised.  It turns out that the griffin in the title isn't Kit, which is
who I assumed it would be, but instead it's the female
one.  (sorry, can't remember her name off the top of my head, and
I left my copy in Virginia) Thinking
about it, though, I think it makes sense. . . didn't she, in Dark Lord,
turn out to be more than what she seemed?  that, I think, is one of DWJ's
common themes, but I know better than to think that she'll be predictible.

I'm writing a page for my children's lit class on what my favorite books
were and why I think I loved them so much. . . .

When the fourth Harry Potter came out, somebody in Newsweek said that the
test of a classic children's book is, would you still love it as an
adult?  One of
the ones he said counted as a classic was A Wrinkle in Time, but by those
standards I have to disagree.  When I first read it, I loved it, but when
I read it (and a Swiftly Tilting Planet) a year or so ago, I found that
the portrayals of good and evil were too absolute and too
traditional, and I found myself getting annoyed.  When I first read it, I
bonded with Meg because she was different, and espoused room for
difference, but I don't think that L'Engle left much room for different
ideas of what's right and what's maybe not in her books.  Anyone else have
an opinion on this?  (i think that's a rhetorical question.)

lizzie