Lois McMasters Bujold

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 16:52:03 EDT 2000

Robyn wrote

> I like Ivan too (the comparison with Howl is excellent) because he is not
> as dumb as he makes out. Glad to see that someone else is of this opinion,
> everyone on the Bujold list just thinks he is an idiot pure and simple.
> Though how they can, when the rest of Bujold is anything but just what it
> seems is beyond me.

A BIT OF A SPOILER FOR A CIVIL CAMPAIGN COMING UP

I've always thought Ivan had some hidden qualities. Given his
upbringing and circumstances its no wonder he's had to play the
fool. I like the way he can be protective of Miles
even if his methods (baths of ice water) can be a little unorthodox.
Ivan's problem, however, is that he has spent so much time evading
things he hasn't given thought to what he actually wants to do. His
mantra in A Civil campaign says it all "Its not my fault, its not my
job and you can't make me." Then he finds himself obliged to act.
now that he has demonstrated his competence outside of Mile's
shadow the consequences should be interesting.

                                           Ven.