Lois McMaster Bujold

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 1 20:26:38 EDT 2000

All right, resurfacing.  I've read all her stuff except for Memory and
Mirror Dance and Warrior's Apprentice, and ooooh, what fun it was.

So far, my favourite for sheer plot screwiness (real Shakespearean comedy
plot, compleat with quirky love interests, error-causing twins and general
confusion) is Brothers in Arms;

As a setting and society, Cetaganda (I
want one of those haut-lady bubbles!  I really do!) ;

For sheer doubling up
at midnight and muffling screams of laughter with pillows, the
Camp Permafrost beginning of The Vor Game ("leave me on an island with six
thousand armed men and tell me to go sniffing for wah-wahs");

For farce,
definitely the dinner in A Civil Campaign, oh yes, the vicarious cringing
of it all (and the liveried butter bugs!  oh, the butter bugs! and Lord
Dono's first meeting with Ivan!);

For emotional impact, also A Civil Campaign.

All in all, what a ride.  I wonder, should I hunt down the remaining books
*right now*, or save them for a rainy day?

Alexandra
(with fountains of gratitude to everybody who recommended LMB, and with a
special little gush of gratitude for Melissa and the wonderful reading
plan--oh, you were so right about the food reserves...but then you're
Always Right, so there :)