Off Topic more Hary Potter Censorship Stuff

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 13:40:26 EDT 2000

I've just watched an episode of NYPD Blue featuring two English
detectives. Its the one where a British serial killer has slipped
through the net over here and gone to New York to pursue his
nasty activiites. Anyhow , although the accents were done OK they
had them using jargon that no Brits would use. For example they
said their bosses wouldn't file the case, meaning it was dropped,
whereas over here dropped cases are put on file, and it would be
the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) refusing to prosecute that
would have got the case dropped. And they talked about the
woman's purse, instead of her handbag (a purse is what we keep
money and credit cards in). I'm sure the Americans could have
coped with them speaking English English. Plus the man came out
of old fashioned stuff from twenty years ago and his class was
unplacable due to the combination of a cockney accent and old
fashioned gentlemanly manners and the woman's dress, accent
etc didn't fit together at all. Why Oh Why (BBC joke) can't they
watch a few episodes of one of our police soaps like the Bill and
come a bit closer?
                                           Ven.