Names

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 15:55:33 EDT 2000

Welcome back Ania!

>>   Elise is always the name of someone's maid.  Book Elises never have any
lines
>> or personality - they have a uniform, are French, and apparently quite
biddable,
>> efficient and self-effacing.  [....] Is an odd beast, wot?
>
>   I once had a landlady called Elise. She was wonderful. Eccentric in the best
sense of
> the word. At some point, having brought up 3 children alone, she was running
> singlehandedly a wholefood shop/ cafe/ bakery. ("oh no, not another bloody
customer!"
> was the exclamation that would greet unsuspecting visitors to her
establishment if they
> turned up at an inconvenient time) She also did live role playing, acted in
the local
> theatre group - I believe she was Nanny Ogg in one of the productions - and
did tap
> dancing, ballet dancing, jazz dancing and Morris dancing. And she played
trumpet in a
> brass band (badly, I'm told). All this and she found time to read. I don't
know when
> she slept.
>
>   So, take heart, Elise. Your namesake is stranger than fiction!

Splendid!  Sounds a wonderful character.  But I have to admit that the name
Elise always used to suggest to me (until I joined the list, of course!) the
unknown dedicatee of that awful A-minor bagatelle by Beethoven that 90% of
children learning the piano (me included) get hooked on when they're too young
to know better... :-)

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970