Names

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 16:03:28 EDT 2000

> Ania said...
>
>> I'll stop now before you all get that glazed look I encounter when I talk
>> about historical linguistics....
>
> No, no, please don't stop!  I'm fascinated by comparative linguistics, and
> although I can find cognates in Irish and Welsh (marbh/maru, frex), I don't
> know nearly as much as I'd like to.  So go on telling us about how Irish and
> welsh fit together, please!

I'll second every word of that one!  Linguistics, historical or otherwise, is a
fascinating subject.  One of my best friends at Cambridge was a linguistician
("If a linguist is someone who studies languages, what do you call someone who
studies linguistics?") and he told me just about enough about his subject to
whet my appetite....

Just one thing, though.  P-celtic and q-celtic.  Do you mean Brittannic and
Goidelic?  If so, which is which?

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970