Weaknesses (ON-TOPIC) (for once)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Oct 31 16:10:16 EST 2000

> > There's a place in I think Charmed Life (I can't find it) where someone says that all nine-lifed enchanters have a weakness.  So if > Chrestomanci's father hadn't cast that spell, would he have had a weakness?
>
> Maybe it wasn't a reference to a specific weakness. Maybe it was just a
> way of saying that the nine-lifed enchanters weren't as all powerful as
> everyone seemed to think they were and it's possible to defeat them.
> Their certainly seems to be a lot of mythos/superstition around
> Chrestomanci in "Charmed Life", although most of it is founded, like
> saying his name three times to call him and what have you. Perhaps the
> silver weakness was just an added bonus, something that made it easier
> for people to defeat Chrestomanci.

I guess I was thinking of the place in CL (p. 197 in the newest beech tree
one) where Gwendolen comes back and tells the Nostrums that Cat had nine
lives.  William says "we'll just have to discover the boy's weak
point.  We certainly can't kill him unless we find it.  He must have
one.  All enchanters do."  Which is strange because I definately got the
impression in several places that they could simply kill either Cat or
Chrestomanci until they were dead (like in the end of LoCC where
Christopher feels naked with only one life).

But then the Nostrums also
say, a bit before the previous quote, something to the effect of "we can't
kill Chrestomanci unless we destroy the garden."  And if Christopher's
last life is seperated from him, in the safe or on Millie's hand, does
that mean if he dies and needs it he can't get to it without being dead
for a while first?

> Cat's left-handed nature

Yay left-handed people!

> But if all the nine-lifed enchanters had weaknesses like Chrestomanci's
> silver allergy, would Uncle Ralph have needed that device from one of
> the other worlds to take care of Gabriel de Witt? Surely the staff would
> know if de Witt had such a weakness, Christopher's staff knew about his
> silver problem, and since Ralph had a man on the inside in Mordecai who
> would know of it, it would make sense that he'd take an easier way with
> a weakness similar to Christopher's than going to all the trouble with
> the device from one of the other worlds.

I don't think that Mordecai told Uncle Ralph everything.  He did like the
people at the Castle better than he liked the Wraith people, and I would
think that even while he was working for the Wraith, he wasn't committed
to him--look at the way he tried to get Christopher to quit the
trips.  Not out and out subterfuge, but what little he could do within the
boundaries of his orders from the Dright.

Also, one would assume that Gabriel would protect his weakness, and would
have more defenses against it than he would against a totally unexpected
weapon that shouldn't even be in that world.  (Though he did know that
Wraith was bringing in weapons).  And the weapons were probably mean to
work on other enchanters as well, not just the Chrestomanci.

> Um, yeah, just my two pieces. I probably shouldn't write e-mail in the
> morning. Brain dead. Hope that made some sort of sense to someone.

Perfect sense.  I wrote the original email last night about twelve-thirty
or so with a hundred and two degree fever--but I think that some of the
most interesting conversations I've ever had have been with brain dead
people, because they sort of slip over societal boundaries.  Or
something.  I don't know.

> And if any of the Harry Potter readers out there could maybe drop me a
> line concerning said character's apperance I would be eternally greatful
> and what not.

His physical appearence, you mean?  I'm not entirely sure what Harry looks
like--but I am sure that he doesn't look like those new music boxes and so
on show him as.  Same with Hermione.

> > Just watch me--I will become the God of Death once again.  But right
> > now. . . I need some sleep.
> >
> >                 --Duo Maxwell, "Gundam Wing"
>
> Just love this quote Lizzie. :)
>
> Ingrid

I seized upon it last night while watching the show at midnight.  It
seemed to fit my current frame of mind just so perfectly.

> Not only was Ivan an idiot, but he generated a telepathic damping field
> that turned people nearby into idiots too. He would point this out to
> Barrayaran Intelligence, who would make of his cousin the newest weapon
> in their arsenal - if anyone could be found who could remember what they
> were doing once they closed on him . . . - Miles Vorkosigan

I like yours, too.  /.^) (that's a trowa from gundam wing smiley)

okay.  bye then.

lizzie (who if you cannot tell has been home sick watching gundam wing for
a little too long.)