dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #239

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Oct 31 09:15:10 EST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> Lizzie - I saw parts of the showtime "Devil's Arithmetic". I suppose it was
> alright, but I have a basic problem with holocaust fantasy.

Have you read the book? I haven't actually seen the movie, but I adore the
book, and find it incredibly powerful. I can see your point, but it
doesn't feel like "fantasy" to me. It feels like someone's story that
wouldn't have gotten told otherwise (and it might indeed be based on
specific experiences--I think Jane Yolen's parents might have been
Holocaust survivors), and one of the most poignant things to me is how
spoiled little "why do we have to go remember stuff? I hate doing Jewish
things! Why does it matter?" Hannah becomes someone who really
understands, who gets it deep down in her bones. And for me, the book
helps me understand. Six million is incomprehensible. Ten that you get to
know makes the tragedy.