Help with German, v. off-topic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Oct 26 16:35:29 EDT 2000

Bettina said...

> Everything's o.k. with the "Where are you?" (not that I would have
> expected something else from this list :-)
>
> Just  a small correction to this What's your name?
>
> >Literally, "Was ist dein Name?" (familiar) ::. that should be "Wie ist
> dein Name?"

Well, that was the construction they taught me in school.  And it is, as I
said a literal translation.  But I wouldn't dream of asking a German
anything other than "Wie heissen Sie?" (or "Wie heisst Du?"). ;-)

> Exactly. Ich bin beeindruckt. (I'm impressed.)

Mann, ist das toll!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (Irishwoman who studied German for way too long!)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.