Help with German, v. off-topic

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 24 17:12:37 EDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> I'm doing a project for history, and I need just a small wee bit of help.
> (I don't trust Babelfish.)

Very wise not to trust Babelfish. It can come up with hilarious
mistakes.

> Does "Wo ist sie?" mean "where are you"?

No, it means "where is she?". "Where are you" is either "wo bist du?"
if you're on a first-name basis with the "you", otherwise "wo sind
Sie?"

> How do you say "What's your name"?

"Wie heissen Sie?" (formal), or "Wie heisst du?" (informal)

Disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker of German, but I got nine out of
ten on my final exams!

   Irina