Robert Jordan and Re: RPG names

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue Oct 24 16:26:39 EDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:42:58 +0200 (CEST), Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:
>
>> BTW how do people feel about
>> Robert Jordan, everyone I know likes him, except those people whom I know
>> that like DWJ, who seem to uniformly hate him, because when you see a
>> Jordan book, that means there are no more of her books.  Is this a
>> universal trend?

>Irina:

>I picked up one of his books once, read a chapter, and put it away
>because it didn't do anything for me, it was just work. I didn't
>actively hate it, but it was utterly uninteresting. I'd probably have
>gone on reading it if there hadn't been anything else to read in the
>house; it wasn't *that* boring.

It took me a long time to want to pick up the first, and I got bogged down
for a month in the middle of it...then I got hooked.  I really do like the
series, and I'll buy the next one--hope springs eternal, and maybe this next
book will mean a recovery for the series in general.

Funny, though, because I don't much like epic fantasy other than this.  I
think it's a kind of soap opera effect, where I'm interested in the
characters and will put up with a lot to read about them.  I don't know.

Melissa Proffitt,
on vacation (and why hasn't anyone started in on Year of the Griffin, or are
those messages mysteriously disappearing?)