Places in Between

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Tue Oct 24 12:42:28 EDT 2000

> Thanks for the essay link; it occured to me as I was reading it--isn't the
> wood between worlds somewhat like the place in between?
>
> I've really got to learn how to spirit travel like Christopher did.
>
> lizzie

I'm not sure what Lizzie is replying to here, but it could be Hallie's message
about DWJ on Narnia - anyway, I'll take a guess she's referring to one or more
of the CS Lewis references, and the Place Between as described in Magicians
Nephew as compared with Lives of C Chant.

I noticed the similarity a couple of years ago, and wondered briefly what other
such places one can find.

Jack Chalker describes it as a "sea" in the Dancing Gods series.  This makes
sense, but is not very interesting IMHO.

Alan Dean Foster and Fritz Leiber both have characters moving between a fantasy
world and ours via caves (one of the Spellsinger books and one of the Swords
books respectively) but I don't think the Place Between was described in either
case; in Foster's story the cave seemed to be a simple "way through" such as we
find in the old gatehouse in Witch Week.

More to the point, I have never been able to decide whether the place inhabited
by _them_ in Homeward Bounders qualifies as a Place Between.  Most of the
travelling between worlds did not go through it, anyway.

Finally, what about the place variously perceived as seashore and wood in Sudden
Wild Magic?  They first visited it when spirit travelling; and Gladys and Tod
meet in it when looking for a way through.

Any more Places Between, in DWJ and elsewhere?

Philip.

Disclaimer notice:
prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000