more names

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 21 17:11:14 EDT 2000

In message <LPBBJPAEMJPODJMBLFJGIENBDAAA.israfel at eircom.net>, "Dorian E. Gray"
writes:
>Ven said...
>
>> My role playing group set up a couple of games with some Finnish
>> borrowings. We'd gotten bored with Norse/Celtic settings and the
>> Finnish Gods in Deities and Demigods looked interesting. (I'm the
>> only one who has actually read the Finnish national epic the
>> Kalevala at all). To get Finnish names we looked at the cast lists of
>> the odd Finnish film on tv and the wrtiers of scientific papers (and
>> the occasional racing driver). For surnames we sometimes made
>> things up from a Finnish English dictionary -- combining two words
>> like Blackwater or used placenames from maps.
>
>We did a Russian one; I found the Guinness Book of Names absolutely
>invaluable; it has a section on common first names and surnames in most
>European countries.  Mind you, I still wound up calling my character Kedda,
>which I made up!  It's from the German Hedda, meaning strife or conflict,
>and I changed the initial letter because there's no "H" sound in Russian.
>"Gedda" would have been more linguistically correct, but I didn't like the
>sound of that. :-)

Wow, I'm going to have to pass on all of these inventive naming schemes to
our DM- the hardest part of generating a nw player character or running
into a new significant non-player character is coming up with a name, for
us.  Our dungeon master isn't very good at it, and neither are the rest of
us.  We have a baby name book, but somehow "Ivan" seems a little prosaic
for a kobold or a gold dragon.  We use a random consonant generator, but
that only sort of works, even with vowels inserted where appropriate... :)

Courtney