more names

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Oct 21 15:40:05 EDT 2000

Ven said...

> My role playing group set up a couple of games with some Finnish
> borrowings. We'd gotten bored with Norse/Celtic settings and the
> Finnish Gods in Deities and Demigods looked interesting. (I'm the
> only one who has actually read the Finnish national epic the
> Kalevala at all). To get Finnish names we looked at the cast lists of
> the odd Finnish film on tv and the wrtiers of scientific papers (and
> the occasional racing driver). For surnames we sometimes made
> things up from a Finnish English dictionary -- combining two words
> like Blackwater or used placenames from maps.

We did a Russian one; I found the Guinness Book of Names absolutely
invaluable; it has a section on common first names and surnames in most
European countries.  Mind you, I still wound up calling my character Kedda,
which I made up!  It's from the German Hedda, meaning strife or conflict,
and I changed the initial letter because there's no "H" sound in Russian.
"Gedda" would have been more linguistically correct, but I didn't like the
sound of that. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.