more names

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 20:55:54 EDT 2000

Tarja wrote

> Several people have contributed all kinds of names, so I thought I would
> send you some Finnish names as well. Here's just a random selection picked
> from my calendar. You can figure out how they are pronounced =) (I tried to
> pick ones that might not prove *too* difficult to English speakers). One
> hint is, that j is always pronounced like the beginning sound in young, i.e.
> Finnish j is equivalent to English y.
>
> Women:
> Rauni, Sari, Silva, Erja, Eira, Mervi, Pinja, Else, Senja, Auri, Vuokko,
> Viivi, Vieno, Janika, Janita, Heli, Laila
>
> Men:
> Aaro, Turo, Lari, Olli, Lauri, Lasse, Miro, Kuisma, Vesa, Severi, Aimo,
> Atte, Sampsa, Karri, Sulo, Jorma, Jarmo

My role playing group set up a couple of games with some Finnish
borrowings. We'd gotten bored with Norse/Celtic settings and the
Finnish Gods in Deities and Demigods looked interesting. (I'm the
only one who has actually read the Finnish national epic the
Kalevala at all). To get Finnish names we looked at the cast lists of
the odd Finnish film on tv and the wrtiers of scientific papers (and
the occasional racing driver). For surnames we sometimes made
things up from a Finnish English dictionary -- combining two words
like Blackwater or used placenames from maps. I always had a
sneaking feeling some of them would have sounded absurd to a
real Finnish speaker..............  Because I used the Larousse
encyclopedia section on the mythology which combines it with
Hungarian as "Finno Ugric" I had a few Hungarian borrowings too.
The surprising thing is I had very few of the names on Tarja's list. I
remember a Perakina and a Raimo.

BTW while reading the Kalevala -- I never actually finished it, so I
should say "I've read in it", like John Crowley's Pierce Moffat  when
heb was bluffing about his knowledge -- I noticed how much Tolkein
had borrowed, its astonishing how his imitators don't sdeem to go
back there.

Another BTW our Finnish English dictionary had a strange section
in the middle where it claimed to translate food items on menus.
Under for example Yorkshire pudding it had a long stream of
Finnish words. looking each one up individually produced
something like batter made of flour milk and eggs put into a metal
pan of hot fat and cooked very hot -m they were recipes. I
somehow couldn't imagine going into a restaurant and asking for all
that.

                                           Ven.