Names etc...

gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 17 09:34:02 EDT 2000

I am continually surprised and delighted by the way people on this list
share so many of my interests and obsessions. I was too busy to contribute
when the Narnia discussion took place, but the Narnian books were  important
to me when I was growing up. Like others, I felt ambivalent about _The Last
Battle_. I think if I had to choose favourites, I'd choose _The Horse and
His Boy_ and _The Voyage of the Dawntreader_. I also found I shared many
people's ambivalence about Madeleine L'Engle. Here's a writer who can bring
me to tears one minute and have me scowling with frustration at her
preaching the next.

I've always had a love...er, obsession...with names. As a kid, I used to
write lists of them, different combinations of first and last names. The
spelling of names is really vital--Sharyn has a different feel to Sharon,
for example. I like Marianne but not Mary Ann--apologies to any out there! I
seem to remember someone else speaking about the importance of name
spellings, and I just wanted to say how nice it is not to be alone in one's
madness!

Speaking of beautiful names out of context, at school we had a girl in our
class with the beautiful Hebrew name of Oznat (pronounced OzNUT). To
non-Hebrew-speaking people, this sounded rather unfortunate. I think she
calls herself Oz now. ;-)

Ros