Chortle

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 05:00:58 EDT 2000

Margaret E Parks wrote:
And my favorite, I think, is Visit's friend,
Smite-the-Unbeliever-with-Cunning-Arguments.  I chortle every time I see it.
(At least, I think I do.  Watch chortle turn out to
be some strange variety of Greek soup.)

Oh, yes. I love the modern Omnians- the poor priest in Carpe Jugulum.
I think chortle is a Lewis Carrol word- a blend of chuckle and snort. My
favourite is frabjous- unless it's the vorpal blade. (which Amber book is it
where Merle gets stuck in the magical hallucination and has to slay the
Jabberwock?)
Jennifer