Amazon Summary of Homeward bounders - Political correctness

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 04:47:58 EDT 2000

Kyra wrote

> So, in eager anticipation of maybe being able to order a copy of HB from
> Amazon.co.uk, I went over to see when it would be available.  And I
> happened to see the one reader review given there, wherein the writer
> suggested that certain sections of the book could be considered
> politically incorrect, and that s/he hoped these sections would not be cut
> or changed in the new copy.  I'm a bit baffled here.  Do you people have
> any idea what was un-PC about HW?  Am I being deeply stupid or un-PC
> myself in not instantly realizing?

Could it be the stuff about slavery in the Khan's world and
whatsisname trying to sell his beautiful, well educated, red headed,
sister to ten foot tall Constam? I wouldn't  call it politically incorrect
myself but I can see it could be politically sensitive. I presume
DWJ was trying to distance the issue from the real world by having
it happen somewhere with an evidently different history.
                                           Ven.

Another thought- how the girl (forgotten her name- how shameful) is chucked
out
from her world for having the "spirit arm"? Or maybe the cannibalism bit??
Jennifer