YotG &c

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Mon Oct 16 02:23:56 EDT 2000

My problem with _Dark Lord of Derkholm_ was that I've read a lot of fantasy.
Also, I am fundamentally subversive/a lover of freedoms.

The _Tough Guide_ seemed depressingly familiar, and as I read _Dark Lord_,
it was all too appallingly clear to me that real people were being constrained
to live in rigidly-defined theme-park parameters.

This, for once, is DWJ showing us people waking up and developing the distrust
of authority which is usually a given in her books. I don't find it as fun as
the dazzling reverses she can manage when reality isn't contractually confined.

When DWJ does write a sequel, it's never the "and their lives panned out like
this" follow-on that we readers could extrapolate from the text. hooray! Mind
you, I don't know why people thought it might be a griffin other than Elda who
goes to the University: not only is there the decade already mentioned to
consider (though what's wrong with being a mature student, I don't know),
there's also the mention in _Dark Lord_ of her being the one who's good at
learning things.

And it wouldn't be a new griffin created with Querida in mind... Derk has
moved on to winged humans (and might even do the mermaid at some point).

Tanaqui